Sometimes as I’m reading through the stories of scripture a line from the stories will touch an ache in me. I find that I’ll hold on to those words for weeks and let them become a prayer. I allow the sacred words to do the hard work of reshaping my unhealthy thoughts. I’ll let the prayer sink deeply into my mind, heart, and body to re-form my character and my understanding of both myself and who God is.
Recently, the words from the healing in Mark 9 have become my prayer:
“Jesus I believe, help me overcome my unbelief”
These are other prayers that have formed me in seasons past:
- “He rescued me because he delighted in me.” Psalm 18:19
- “Tell me to come to you on the water. ” Matt 14:28
- “Wait for the Lord. Be strong and take heart. Wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27
- “You of little faith why are you so afraid?” Matt 8:26
- “Jesus looked at him and loved him.” Mark 10:21
As I grow in prayer, I find I have less to say. Instead, as I hold onto these words I can simply rest in the place of prayer. What words of scripture have touched you in this lenten season?